How to meet the needs of modern learners
Read Time: 2 minutes
Modern learners are hungry to learn and are capable of gathering information quickly and efficiently.
According to reports, they wish they had more time to digest information that will help them in their jobs. To meet learners in this need, organizations must meet the challenge of competing for learner attention in a crowded media space. According to Bersin, “Today’s modern learner is overwhelmed, distracted, and impatient. They want learning content that is relevant, focused and succinct, timely, mobile, and engaging.”
- Employees say they can spend only 1 percent of their time on training development (Bersin, 2016).
- 68 percent of employees prefer to learn on the job (LinkedIn Learning, 2018).
- Because most learners prefer to learn on the job, but few have the time to do it, learning must be succinct, well-researched, and to-the-point.
- When possible, use microlearning to deliver relevant pieces of information.
Timely & Personalized
- 49 percent of employees prefer to learn at the point of need (LinkedIn Learning, 2018).
- In 2018, only 10 percent of learners say that they can determine own path through learning (Towards Maturity).
- Learning content must be learner-centric. Learners (especially millennials, who will soon make up 75 percent of the workforce) care deeply about personal development and performance.
- We must make learning timely, personalized, relevant, and impactful.
- The average employee checks his or her phone 150 times per day (IMPACT 2018, Bersin).
- Learning must be not only accessible via a mobile device but must be searchable. Modern learners want to access answers to questions immediately. If they have to search for a piece of content within a course, they might just turn to YouTube in frustration.
- Collaboration makes learning more engaging. 87 percent of workers say sharing knowledge with co-workers is vital for their jobs (Bersin).
- Consider trends and tools that can make learning more engaging.
- Leaderboards & Competitions
- Gamified Courses
- Personalized Tracks & AI
- Blended Learning